By Tracy Griffiths, BCPP and Julie Sinclair, BCPP
In Polarity Therapy Volume 1, Book 2, Chart No. 2, Dr. Stone shows how subtle prana currents take the form of chakras that exist as five whirling functional energy centers in the body. These centers relate to the elements of Ether (voice/throat; respiration); Air (circulation/lungs, heart); Fire (digestion/stomach); Water (generative force, emotional drive/pelvic organs, glandular secretions); and Earth (elimination of solids and liquids/rectum, bladder).
When you’re working with clients via an elemental protocol session, essential oils can be an additional tool you can use — or that a client can take home with them after the session — to support the work. Below is a summary, culled from Tracy’s Aroma Yoga® book, of each chakra, what each chakra governs, and which essential oils can be used to support the chakras.
1st/Root (Muladhara) Chakra
The sense of smell is associated with the First Chakra, and its corresponding element is Earth. Faster acting than our senses of hearing and sight, smell is associated with the “fight or flight” response to challenges and correlates to our powerful and instinctive emotional guidance system.
- Essence: Waking state
- Color: Red, representing physical manifestation
- Location: Base of the spine, tailbone
- Theme: Security vs. Fear
- Essential oils to use: Cedarwood, Cypress, Idaho Balsam Fir, Vetiver, Abundance™, Grounding™, Valor™
2nd/Sacral (Swadhisthana) Chakra
The Second Chakra is the center of creativity, desire, emotion, sexuality, fluidity, and intuition. It relates to giving and receiving pleasure. Taste is the sense associated with this chakra. It’s element is Water.
Essence: Dreams, emotions
- Color: Orange, representing wisdom, creativity, and benevolence
- Location: One or two inches below the navel
- Theme: Flow vs. Stagnation, Attachment vs. Letting Go
- Essential oils to use: Grapefruit, Jasmine, Orange, Rose, Inner Child™
3rd/Solar Plexus (Manipura) Chakra
The Third Chakra is the center of personal power, ambition, change, will, and passion. Sight is the sense associated with this chakra. It’s element is Fire.
- Essence: Ego identity, desire to be seen
- Color: Yellow, representing fire, activation, heat, initiation
- Location: Below sternum and behind the stomach
- Theme: Passion vs. Anger or Resentment
- Essential oils to use: Lemon, Ginger, Peppermint, Sandalwood, Purification™, Transformation™
4th/Heart (Anahata) Chakra
The Fourth Chakra is the center of compassion, love, and group consciousness. It’s element is Air. It is spiritually associated with “oneness.” The sense of touch is associated with this chakra.
- Essence: Selflessness, working for the welfare of others
- Color: Green, representing soothing, healing, ecstasy, and fulfillment of anticipation
- Location: Center of the chest at heart level
- Theme: Understanding vs. judgment
- Essential oils to use: Jasmine, Lavender, Marjoram, Rose, Believe™, Joy™
5th/Throat (Vishuddha) Chakra
The Fifth Chakra is the center of communication, sound, and expression of creativity through thought, speech, music, writing, and art. We can repress our feelings of grief and hold back our authentic expression because we feel vulnerable. When we fail to speak up or speak our truth, we may experience a sore throat, sore neck, or even lose our voice. The thyroid gland, which regulates our body’s metabolism, is related to this chakra. The chakra is associated with the sense of hearing and element of Ether.
- Essence: Vibrational nature of reality, and identity is perceived and experienced
- Color: Blue, representing clarity and knowledge of and alignment with Divine guidance and purpose
- Location: The throat/neck area
- Theme: Spiritual connection vs. disconnection
- Essential oils to use: Frankincense, Lavender, Peppermint, Believe™, Deep Relief Roll-on™, Thieves™, Valor™
6th/Third Eye (Ajna) Chakra
The Sixth Chakra is the center of psychic power, higher intuition, magnetic forces, and light. It encompasses Divine thought, balanced intuition, and intellect. It’s “sense” is intuition, and it’s element is Light.
- Essence: Beyond pulsation, transcendence of all dualistic realities
- Color: Indigo
- Location: Just above the middle of the eyebrows on the forehead
- Theme: Vision vs. Illusion
- Essential oils to use: Frankincense, Geranium, Sandalwood
7th/Crown (Sahasrara) Chakra
The Seventh Chakra is the center of spirituality, universal consciousness, Divine alignment, enlightenment, dynamic thought, and energy. It is the connecting link to you highest and finest Self. It’s “element” is Spirit, and it’s “sense” is Enlightenment.
- Essence: Only unconditional love exists, search for soul is over, everything just is; this reality is not perceivable or describable – it is your true nature
- Color: Violet or white, representing royalty, enlightenment, the search and attainment of the true meaning of life, existence, and spirituality
- Location: The crown (top) of the head
- Theme: Knowingness vs. Confusion
- Essential oils to use: Frankincense, Lavender, Petigrain, Vetiver, White Angelica™
If you’d like more information on Young Living Essential Oils, or to sign up for our e-newsletter that includes information on how to use Young Living Essential Oils in your practice and your life, email FlowIntoWellness@marketingscents.com. You can also visit our website, or sign up with Young Living to enroll with a Premium Essential Oil Starter Kit and receive a 24% member discount.
The Aroma YogaⓇ guide book—which offers an introduction to essential oils and the many benefits of aromatherapy, and features specific oils to use with Dr. Stone’s Polarity Yoga and additional asanas paired with each chakra—is available to order here.